If you’re looking for “skinny” rice crispy treats, turn back now.
If you seek the gummy taste of an individually packaged rice crispy treat, run far away.
But if you are one of the few – the brave – willing to risk it all to change the standard we hold rice crispy treats to, then you have come to the right place.
Some may warn you against this journey. They may cloud your judgment of what a rice crispy treat is supposed to be. But you will – and you must – shake them off. Go to the gym, run like you mean it, and earn your prize. Experience the nutty aroma of browned butter, melded with the creamy, salty goodness of peanut butter. Savor the way it feels to eat one treat with two “butters” in the ingredient list. Soak it in. This is what it feels like to be alive, my friends.
I think by now you get the general gist of what these treats are all about. They are just that – treats. Little bundles of pure decadence packed into a tiny, unassuming square. And if you have earned it, there’s no shame in treating yourself. Remember, this is a judgment-free zone.
Go on. It’s okay. This is a safe place. I won’t tell.
- 5 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, browned
- 1/3 c peanut butter
- ¼ c honey
- ⅔ c dried cherries, chopped
- 1 8-ounce bag miniature or large marshmallows
- Line an 8x8 pan with aluminum foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice krispies and chopped cherries.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and continue to heat the butter until it begins to brown, stirring frequently. The butter will be frothy and produce a nutty aroma.
- As soon as the butter begins to turn brown, add the peanut butter, marshmallows, and honey to the pan. Stir until they are melted into the butter.
- Pour melted mixture into the bowl over the rice krispie mixture. Stir until evenly coated.
- Pour mixture into the pan. Refrigerate for two hours before cutting and serving.